Teaching Engineering through our Employer Commissions is a vital part of our Education.
Students work with companies to:
- See the problem
- Design and build a solution
- Evaluate the design
- Present their findings to the company.
This mirrors the process in industry.
We are currently working with Rolls-Royce, Toyota, Bombardier, the Royal Navy, SNC Lavallin and Lubrizol on our commissions.
The Royal Navy place an importance on the role of UTC's in the naval engineering sector
“A national transport manufacturing hub, powerfully spanning the civil and defence sectors. Derby is of strategic importance to our Nations engineering base. I am therefore delighted that the technology-fuelled, 21st century Royal Navy is affiliated to Derby Manufacturing UTC. The talented young people educated and trained at this forward-looking College will go on to make a valuable contribution, not just to manufacturing in derby and the east Midlands, but to the UK’s national growth and performance in leading edge technology.”
Admiral Sir George Zambellas KCB DSC ADC DL, First Sea Lord and Chief of Naval Staff
There are opportunities to work in Nuclear, Electronic, Electrical, Mechanical, Information Systems and Aeronautical roles as an engineer in the Royal Navy. The Royal Navy supports the Derby UTC through:
- Royal Navy Engineers visiting the college to discuss naval engineering topics with students.
- Royal Navy Engineers providing assistance with students technical projects.
- The opportunity for some UTC students to visit the Royal Navy’s engineering schools in Hampshire.