Recent reports have highlighted the challenges which the Engineering sector faces, and will continue to face, in coming years in relation to:
- The desperate need to recruit suitably qualified and experienced staff at all levels.
- The ageing demographic of the existing workforce.
- The requirement for increasing numbers of STEM professionals in the coming years.
- The failure to recruit significant numbers of females into the Engineering Industry.
Derby Manufacturing UTC and other Engineering based UTC’s are viewed by the Government, and the Engineering industry at national levels, as an essential element of the strategy to address these issues.
Your involvement will help us to attract committed and motivated students, so that we can educate them and prepare them for a highly productive and successful career.
We will then have:
- Students who are able to “hit the ground running”.
- Young people who believe that hard work and determination are essential for the future success of Derby and the East Midlands.
- Opportunities, through awards and competitions, to showcase the local talent pool.
- Opportunities to raise the profile of the industry.
- The chance to develop the knowledge and skills of your own staff, through mentoring students, delivering masterclasses, running “Employer Commissions”, and providing specialist, up-to-date, careers advice and guidance.
There are a whole host of ways in which employers can support Derby Manufacturing UTC:
- Employer Commissions: These are at the heart of the curriculum at Derby Manufacturing UTC. They are seven week projects designed with employers to provide students with real life scenarios which require a solution in the engineering sector. They provide the context in which they apply, consolidate, enhance and embed their academic and technical knowledge, skills, and understanding.
- Work Placement: Provide students with a strong interest in your area high quality work placements.
- Careers Advice and Guidance: Work with UTC staff to provide relevant guidance to students, and prospective students.
- Staff Support: Enable your staff to work with our staff to deliver masterclasses.
- Facilities and Specialist equipment: Allow the use of facilities and specialist equipment to inform and inspire students to pursue a career in the industry.
- Sponsorship: This can cover a whole range of areas including:
Individual Students, Specialist Equipment, Awards and Competitions, Academic Subject Areas, Extra-Curricular Activities, etc.